Washington DC

The Bahamas Consulate General
  • Stacks Image 4334

    Caption Text

  • Stacks Image 4335

    Caption Text

  • Stacks Image 4336

    Caption Text

Frequently Asked Questions
The Embassy Consular Annex of The Bahamas provides a variety of services to Bahamian citizens and friends of The Bahamas who wish to visit our country. We have created this FAQ page in order to offer answers to those questions that our staff are asked most often by those planning a visit to The Bahamas.
About Travel to The Bahamas & Immigration
Visa requirements for entry into The Bahamas vary depending upon your nationality and country of residence. Please, download the following PDFs to determine your specific requirements.

Guide to Visa Requirements
List of Visa Requirements by Country

  • A valid passport with six months validity from the date of departure from The Bahamas
  • A return or onward ticket if flying by commercial carrier
  • A letter and further documentation if flying by private aircraft
  • If travelling by private vessel, documentation from the Captain giving entry and exit details of the vessel;
  • Passengers travelling by commercial cruise ships must have their travel vouchers or passbooks
  • Visa or entry permit for the country that you would be visiting upon leaving The Bahamas
  • Sufficient funds to finance the visit (approx. $200USD per day)
  • A letter of invitation if residing at a private address if applicable
  • A confirmed hotel booking if applicable

No. Machine readable or biometric passports are not required at this point in time for entry to The Bahamas.

Green card holders do not require visas to visit The Bahamas. They should have a valid green card, a passport that is valid for six months from the date of departure from The Bahamas; sufficient funds to finance their trip; onward or return tickets to leave The Bahamas and proof of accommodation.

No; passports must have a minimum of six months validity from the date of departure from The Bahamas. In addition, airlines would not let passengers board with expired travel documents.

Only British and American passport holders may travel to The Bahamas with less than six months left on their passports.

Yes, this is acceptable. Minors up to the age of sixteen years old may travel to the Bahamas on their parent’s passports.

If the passport that you are using during your visit to The Bahamas does not exactly reflect your current legal name, please ensure that you have the additional documentation outlined below that os suitable to your situation:

  • If the name change on your passport were due to Marriage, you would need your original/certified copy of the marriage certificate with other proof of citizenship (birth certificate, voter’s card, etc.)
  • If the name change is due to adoption or legal name change (deed poll) you would need a certified copy of the legal document showing the name change with other proof of citizenship.
Note: If you do not have a legal document, you would need a parent or other relative that knew of the name change to have an affidavit sworn to that fact.

An authorization letter from their parents stating consent has been given for children of sixteen years and under.

While this is not a requirement for The Bahamas it is advisable to have written consent from the child’s parent(s). If the non-custodial parent is traveling with children it is also suggested that a letter of authorization for the children to travel be obtained.

A valid import permit ($10) is required to import any animal into The Bahamas. Unless otherwise indicated, a permit can only be used once and only during the period specified on the permit. Dogs and cats imported from countries with rabies must be six months and older.

To apply for an import permit, please telephone 1-242-325-7502 in The Bahamas or 1-242-325-7503.

You may also write to the Director of Agriculture at the following address:

Director of Agriculture
P O Box N – 3028
Nassau, The Bahamas

In your correspondence, please provide your name and address, the type, age and number of animals you wish to import, the country of export and origin, the purpose for importing the animal(s), as well as anticipated date of arrival and destination in The Bahamas.

It is suggested that a letter from the doctor stating that the medication is needed for your health be obtained and presented to Bahamas Customs if questioned.

Departure tax is incorporated in your ticket or holiday package and would not be a separate charge.

Persons with criminal records or persons, who are on parole, should write to the Director of Immigration at the following address seeking advice and clarification:

Director of Immigration
Immigration Department
P.O. Box N – 831
Nassau the Bahamas

Tel: 1-242-322-7530

The letter should include the following information:

  • Date of entry and exit to and from The Bahamas
  • Anticipated length of visit
  • Details of accommodation (private address or hotel / villa)
  • Details of conviction – i.e. sentence, time served and current status
  • Documentary proof of termination of sentence or pardon

If the intended traveler is on parole, the parole Officer should provide a letter on letterhead stating that there is no objection to letting the intended traveler leave the jurisdiction of parole; the letter should also include the full name, date of birth and place of birth, the nationality, passport number and place of passport issuance. The Bahamas Immigration Department would respond to the initial letter sent directly from the Parole Officer.

You may take any item up to a value of $100USD Duty free. However, no fresh fruit or vegetables allowed. Chicken and beef are taxable. One quart of alcohol including beer and wine and 200 cigarettes and 50 cigars are allowed for persons over 21.

Additional information may be obtained from

The Comptroller of Customs
Customs House, Thompson Blvd
PO Box N-155
Nassau, The Bahamas

Tel: 1-242-326-4401

© 2014 The Embassy Consular Annex of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas Contact Us